Pages

February 5, 2010

The Juggling Act - Otherwise Known as Motherhood

I'm out of fresh material about Drew - so you have to wait until next week for new updates on his crazy antics. I'll spare you the torture sessions about his whining talents. Instead, we'll focus on an issue many of you understand - the juggling act known as "Motherhood".

Before I was a mom, I heard stories from friends, family and acquaintances about how much your life was going to change. How you never get time for yourself, how you're everything to everyone. When I was pregnant, I welcomed that change and challenge. And frankly I was annoyed hearing "your life is about to change". Well DUH!

Now 2 years later - yup, everyone was right! While I LOVE being a Mom, it's not always peaches and cream.

I mean you get pooped on, peed on, puked on (numerous times in my case - often at church). You always have to have dinner on the table (no more help-yourself-dinners when you don't feel like cooking), you're the one who wipes their butt, gets them dressed, makes sure they brush their teeth, don't have dirt on their bodies when you send them out lest someone judge you. You pull the all-nighters when they're sick, you heal their hurts, hold them when their fussy and solve all problems big and small.

Forget about having an uninterrupted conversation on the phone, watching a TV show in it's entirety (what did Moms do before DVR?), having an uninterrupted conversation with your spouse, have privacy when you shower or use the restroom and... well you get the picture.

Oh and then when they're napping or down for the night - you're working on doing the dishes, cleaning up the mess they've made (or your husband made), throwing laundry in the wash, folding the laundry, getting the next meal planned or prepped, paying bills, or whatever endless list of "to do's" are on the agenda for the day.

During the week, I'm lucky enough to send Drew to day care so I can go to work and get tugged into another direction doing things for other people, and well... make money to help put food on the table, a roof over our head, pay for child care etc. (I love my job and I know I'm not cut out to be a SAHM -stay at home mom- so work is a good thing and a "break" for me. But it is just another item in the juggling act).

So when do Moms get a break? It's a constant tug of war - pleasing the kids, the husband, the business associates (and for the Stay at Home mom's it's harder because there's no "escape"). Where is our time?

Sure I get to go out once and a while to scrapbook, visit with friends get dinner out, play or chat on the computer to unwind - but the freedom is gone. The spontaneity, isn't there like it used to be before kids came along. Sure we do things as a family on a whim from time to time, but it's just different.

I long for the day all the chores are done, the family is out of the house and I can just stay at home and do what ever I want for as long as I want - without interruption. Or perhaps to just lay down in my personal cabana on a beach, having umbrella drinks served to me by a gorgeous barely clothed man... but I digress.

While I miss this side of my life, I wouldn't change my current situation for anything in the world. I work well under pressure, always have. I love this challenge, and the family Dave and I have made. And while motherhood is a bit trying at times (just as it is being a wife some days), I love this juggling act otherwise known as motherhood.

I mean - I have earned every smile from my beautiful boy, every giggle, every hug, kiss, squeeze, smirk and cuddle. Today I'm his hero - and that's what matters. It's the hard and trying times that make you appreciate all the good stuff that comes with the "job". There's no better sound (or paycheck) than at night when you tuck your child in, and they say "I love you Mommy".

Cans for Comments - runs through Sunday evening. So please keep those comments coming! You can help feed hungry families simply by commenting on any blog past or present. I'm far from reaching goal - so comment away.

4 comments:

  1. I would like to give you hope that this soon shall pass but... as I had two instances this past week with a 19 day shy of being 18 child pounding on the bathroom door while I was in the shower to tell me something stupid like will you put a pizza in for me (there was no blood involved in this interruption) and then the other night while I was doing my weekly ritual of Sunday night ironing while husband sat in the chair next to me watching tv said child is yelling "mom" from the other room repeatedly I turn to husband and say once again I'm changing my name to "DAD" because they never yell dad! All these times you say "if only I could have any hour to myself" will come way to fast and then you will be standing in the middle of your house thinking to yourself now what do I do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate to tell you that even when your children are adults, they still call mom when they need something "Mom, I'm dying" or "mom can you come sit at my house for .....". When Drew is clinging to you crying "mommy...." I will remind you that you thrive on challenges. :) I do agree though, when they are asleep or say they love you, it melts your heart.

    ReplyDelete