Pages

February 15, 2010

Operation: Potty Training - Progress Report

Oh my - today we're starting Day 3 in what I've dubbed, Operation: Potty Training. I had very low expectations and - well - it's been a whirlwind of a weekend on this front. Every night ended up in a shared bottle of wine with Dave.

Day One:
From the moment Drew woke up, he was put into underwear. We told him what was in store for him, and I set the alarm on my cell phone for every 15 minutes, at which time we'd sit on the potty regardless of whether he said he had to go or not.

After the first hour or so, Drew announced on his own "I go make water". So off to the bathroom we ran, and sure enough, he made "water". His victory prize a lollipop! He was thrilled. And Dave and I just looked at each other saying "It can't be this easy".

Throughout the day, Drew would announce on his own that he had to "go make water". He had a 70% hit rate (10 hits, 3 misses). I was amazed and thought - wow, we're going to survive!

Day Two:
And then Day two hit. For bedtime overnight we opted to put him into a pull-up. (I was thinking of just putting rubber undies on over his underwear). But because of his "ookiepook" troubles and the fact we haven't had a dry night since birth, we decided to just do the pull-up. He woke up wet, but he didn't wet through - so that's great!

Well, we started out with an accident because I made the Mommy mistake of not forcing him to sit on the potty immediately after waking up. Instead I thought I'd let him overcome his morning grumpies. That resulted in a puddle in front of his DVD player not 2 minutes later.

Then while I was getting out of the shower, he flooded his little chair, and in the afternoon.... well you get the picture. Our record for Day two... 4-4. So much for the rockin' start. I guess this was more of what I expected.

Day Three:
Well let's see what day three brings - I'm not expecting miracles, but first thing this morning I put him on the potty.  I knew he was soaked, but surprise, there was a little.. um... surprise also in there.  Well while he was on the potty #2!!  We were doing the happy poo-poo dance while Drew just stared at the "pile" and well, he started to gag. About 30 seconds later it turned into the real thing (he puked).

What we're doing:
While we're in the house Drew's not wearing pants. We went outside for a bit yesterday (Drew played out front for about an hour) and he wore pants without any accidents. So that was something positive.

The good news, I think we're going to stay out of diapers - permanently! The real fun will be on Tuesday when Ms. Stephanie gets to share in my "joys".

No comments:

Post a Comment