Pages

April 12, 2010

Potty Training - Regression?

Just when we take a three steps forward in the potty training department, it looks like we have taken two steps back.  And I'm stumped about what to do.

He's at his worst at Ms. Stephanie's house - I can't remember the last time I picked him up wearing the same outfit I've left him in.  Overnight and naps, I forgive.  Ms Stephanie has had to revert to putting him back into a diaper at nap time because he leaks through the pull-up and soaks her couch.  I'd get sick of cleaning up the couch too (especially when Drew seems to really soak it right before they have company - it's like he has some sick sixth sense).

But during the day, he soaks her kitchen chairs, her carpets and well anything he can when the urge hits him.  I'm not sure why he's such a stinker about it at her house and not so bad at home.  Although I admit he's regressed in the #2's at home - we're virtually #1 accident free.

It seems to me he got really bad after traveling to Kansas City.  I know the auto-flushing toilets scared the crap out of him (no pun intended).  I mean it would me too, if I was the same height as the toilet and it started to "whoosh" beneath my tiny butt.  And then the airplane toilets, forget about it.  They were so loud to flush that he screamed "no-flush" every time he had to go.

That, and then compounded with the fact he had diarrhea about a week later and we put him in a pull-up all day, everyday for about 4 days - until we saw the coast was clear.  That takes us to today and our dilemma. 

How long until he gets back on track?  Right now he just laughs when he goes in his pants.  Dave gets mad (and I mean screaming at Drew to the point he's hysterical with tears) while I am not so mean.  Everything I've read has said to keep your patience about it, and keep pointing out where it goes.

We've tried bribes rewards, talking to him, encouraging less accidents with the teasing of going to preschool - the works!  I'm at a loss.  I know regression is normal, but how long should I expect this "phase" to last?  I mean I'm thinking that more than 2 weeks of this is out of control - am I being unrealistic?

2 comments:

  1. The only thing I can say would be to maybe try putting him back in diapers all the time and see if he doesn't like it. Maybe call him a baby? Explain that only babies wear diapers. That Drew is always keeping mom and dad on their toes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to correct your comment about me screaming and making him "Hysterical with Tears."
    That happened once. Yes, I get mad and yell at him but he just looks at me and doesn't get it. Other times he tries to play it off and tells me that poop goes in the potty. So, I had to make my point but what I do need to correct in myself is to not get mad.

    ReplyDelete