Pages

May 28, 2009

Our Hitchhiker

It seems we brought a hitchhiker home on our camping trip this past Memorial Day weekend.

While getting ready for bed on Tuesday night, I noticed something sitting beside our shower & the bath mat in our bathroom. So I pulled the rug away, to find this little guy.

Because Drew was sound asleep on my bed, I refrained from my instinct of screaming and running to Dave. Instead I calmly went to the front room where Dave was catching up on sports, and said - "Um, you need to perform your husbandly duties and remove this snake-worm looking thing from the bathroom."

Armed with a few napkins (what did he think he was going to do, kill a spider), he went to the bathroom, and said "Ew, it's a snake alright". I tried to prevent him from killing it, imagining the mess that it would leave.

The whole time Dave was trying to wrangle the snake, he kept saying "Ew, gross it stinks! Ugh, it just Sh*@ everywhere. I think I just scared the Sh*@ out of it - literally. Nasty, it stinks!" Meanwhile I'm laughing but keeping a safe distance from the bathroom. Needless to say, the poor little guy didn't survive the wrangling, despite our attempts to set it free outside.

So in my google searches the next morning I've determined our uninvited houseguest was a Blind Snake, which all the descriptions show it resembles an earthworm. Which is exactly what I did - mistook it at first for an unusual looking earthworm.

At first Dave and I kept asking ourselves how this little guy got into the house - having flashbacks of our Jerusalem Cricket that found it's way into our house a few years back. (That was a battle in itself to capture and kill that freak of nature). However in doing my google search it dawned on me we likely picked up the hitchiker in our weekend travels.

Hopefully this was the one and only escapee, I'd like to avoid being surprised again...

No comments:

Post a Comment