Pages

March 25, 2010

Beginning to Read

It's no secret, Drew loves his flashcards.  In fact we were busy impressing the man who sat next to us on the airplane on the way out to Kansas City Drew's ability to name all the MLB Teams.

Yesterday Ms. Stephanie called me at work to have Drew read some words to me.  Of course I was one proud Mama to hear that.

She's using some "Sight Word" flashcards that were for her 4-year old. 

Drew's been watching some Preschool videos with her boys and apparently he's picking a few things up. Here's a list of some of the words he was reading on his own (list Ms. Stephanie made for us):
  • Up
  • White
  • Word
  • are
  • one
  • no
  • a
  • my
  • myes
  • box
  • red
  • yellow
  • at
  • it
  • in
  • I
  • go
  • brown
  • blue
  • big
  • be
She made a note that he gets confused with similar looking words like "no" and "on" or "pig" and "big". 

To test this out, I pulled out some sight words we have, and then wrote a few things on his dry erase easel - he definitely recognizes when we write all the colors including "gold" and "silver".  We're quite proud of our little guy.

3 comments:

  1. I was amazed yesterday when he was reading those words. Our little boy is growning up so fast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an amazing list of words! Hope they offer AP classes at that preschool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! I'm impressed! He's bound to be smart, though...look at his parents!

    ReplyDelete