Pages

May 13, 2010

She's Like the Wind

I often hear from people that they could never be a runner or run races the way I do.  I kind of chuckle because until about 3 years ago, I said the same thing!

To give you some background on my anti-running campaign, it all started when I was in 6th grade and I passed out at school after running a single lap around the track for PE.  That's right I hit asphalt right in front of the teacher and the class - and when you're about 11 years old that's mortifying.  So I didn't try hard in PE after that.

Fast forward to when I was in 9th grade and I had a seizure at school - not as mortifying to a 14 year old as being carried out on a stretcher to the awaiting ambulance as school is being let out for the day.  They determined the seizure was due to my migraines, and tried to treat them with a wide array of medications - some of which were for epilepsy and absolutely drained the life out of me.  I couldn't participate in PE - yahoo!

Then as I was an adult, and looking for ways to shed the unwanted extra weight, I started doing work out videos, going for walks and dabbled in running while I lived in Fresno.  However I never had any method to my running madness, so I quickly gave up.

While Dave and I were trying to conceive Drew, I decided to shed the pounds, re-joined Weight Watchers and looked into various ways to help me earn a lot of Activity Points (those who are familiar with Weight Watchers know what I'm talking about).  That's when I found the Couch-to-5K program from Cool Running.  Essentially it takes you from being a couch potato to being able to run (or jog like I do) a 5K race.

When I saw how it was easy enough to start in spurts, run for 60 seconds and walk for 90 seconds, and gradually increase I was hooked. It also gave me direction and discipline.  Something that I hadn't had previously.  It was even better when I found Podcasts telling me when to walk or run - and no longer have to keep staring down at my stop watch - ok the music wasn't my favorite, but it got me through and kept me motivated.

I have since graduated from the C25K (abbreviated for couch to 5K) twice, once before having Drew, and the second time when I started running four months after having him - I waited until after breastfeeding.  Um, it hurts when you're... shall we say.. full.

So for all you nay-sayers who say you could never run - I said the same thing too.  Now I find it to be a great stress reliever, ALONE TIME for me (which never happens unless I run), and the results on the scale and with my clothes are another great motivator.  So don't knock it until you try it.  I'll see you on the roads or at the next race!

2 comments:

  1. Great post Brenda! I'm inspired to give it a try...I've been saying I would forever...lol. I'm not a morning person or a running person for that matter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of you. You have come a long way and have worked really hard and it sure is paying off. You look great!

    ReplyDelete