Pages

May 5, 2010

"I Don't Love You"

I thought for sure I had another ten years or so before the "I hate yous" and the "I don't love yous" started.  I mean isn't that classic teenager behavior?  OK I'll even go so far to say as the tween years.  But at two?

Last Thursday, I got my first "I don't love you Mommy".  OUCH!

The offense - leaving Drew to lay by himself in his room at night.  You know the parenting technique of tucking your child in, and then going about your evening?  Apparently that's a big no-no in Drew's book.

A few days go by and bedtimes go fairly smoothly, and then wham on Monday night while Dave's at Softball I get it again: "I don't love you Mommy".

I tried to reason with my toddler (that's an oxymoron if I ever heard one - reasoning with a toddler...) that it's not nice to say you don't love Mommy, that it hurts Mommy's feelings.  I asked him how he would feel if I said "I don't love Drew".  I asked if he liked that - and of course he said "no".  Then proceeded to say again, "I don't love you Mommy".

That's when I gave up and said "Ok, good night."

1 comment:

  1. "That's when I gave up and said Good Nite..."
    Yep. That's pretty much all you can do at that point, lol!

    ReplyDelete