Pages

October 14, 2009

Race to the Finish

Finally after living here for five years I've managed to run in one of the biggest races in our community. The Primo's Run For Education. The tax deductible race raises money for local schools - and I ran for the elementary school where Drew will eventually go.

This race was quite "eventful" - start to finish. First to prep for the race, I put on my stopwatch only to realize the batteries died. So I ask Dave to borrow his.

We were also running late to get me registered - parking was kind of impossible. After picking up my race bib, and being told I can only get one safety pin, I try to pick up my race shirt. Problem is they ran out! It turns out there were more runners than they expected - 5,000 last year and more than 6,500 this year. So my name was added to the long list of "maybe we'll order you one". Boo - that's what everyone does races for... the shirts! To say, "hey, I was there." (It was a nice long-sleeve one this year too, I'm quite disappointed by that).



You can see me in the center of the picture wearing a darker blue shirt and the headphones. Obviously I made it to the starting line, no problem. Notice I'm wearing Dave's blue stop watch. Well as the race starts and I try to click the button on his stopwatch - and wouldn't you know it, his dies too!

Ok, no problem. They'll give me times along the route - they have in every race I've been in so far (about a half dozen or so). Nope, they didn't do it. Ok I can get through that, I'll just try to naturally pace myself rather than watch my clock.

It gets better too. Would you like to know the best "eventful" part of the race. I wore the wrong underwear. I barely crossed the starting line, and they fell past my butt! Yes I ran 3.1 miles barely hanging on to my droopy drawers. The whole time I'm running, I'm thinking - these people can see my underwear line way past by @ss.

Despite everything I crossed the finish line making my best personal time... 32:13!!

While Dave and Drew were there to cheer me on, neither saw me cross the finish line. Dave felt horrible about it, but he suspects the balloon that Drew was given sailed away at about the moment I was finishing (to his defense, I didn't figure I'd finish until around the 34 minute mark).


I still managed to get my congratulations hug and kiss from Drew - albeit 15 minutes after I finished since I couldn't find them in the crowd. I didn't realize they never saw me, and Dave thought I fell and was still trying to get to the finish line.

Despite a crazy race for so many reasons, it was still quite a successful one!

1 comment: