Pages

October 23, 2009

It's a Phase Right?

What happened to my "angel" of a child? He is now an opinionated stubborn little boy.

Here are two recent examples - yesterday morning while trying to get dressed, he refused to wear what Daddy had picked (Captain America T-Shirt and Jeans). He was fine with the jeans, but the shirt just wouldn't cut it. Enter tantrum #1.

So Daddy picked a second shirt, it had cars on it - usually a hit, but not this particular morning. Tantrum #1 turned into tantrum #2, when Drew tried to plead his case with me in the bathroom while I was getting ready. In desperation I took him back to his room, and we sifted through the mountains of shirt options he had - I even pulled out his "Mr. Grumpy" shirt thinking that this occasion called for it, but NOPE. Needless to say I was quite happy to drop him off at day care yesterday morning, wearing the same "despised" car shirt that set off his mood.

Oh, he has these episodes where he MUST pick his shirt about once a week with me, this one was just over the top compared with most.

Case number two - on Wednesday evening while Dave was at softball I decided it would be a brilliant idea to walk from our house to Target (a 45 minute/2 mile walk - one way) so I can pick up some much needed wipes. The way there, no problem, Drew thought it was so fun to scream at all the passing cars and purple flowers.

On the way home it was another story. I didn't realize we were going to be gone so long, so I picked up a Pizza Hut "peckeroni" pizza for him at the food court so he could eat it. First mini tantrum, he no longer wanted it. Fine. He had goldfish for the walk home.

Since it was starting to get chilly with the sun setting, I put his jacket on. It worked for about 10 minutes, then enter tantrum #1. I'm not sure if the sleeves were in the way of his eating goldfish or what set him off. But rather than get the looks from drivers-by for not attending to my screaming child, I decided to take his jacket off. It was going to get dark quickly, so I could avoid the looks I was getting for letting my kid outside at that hour without a jacket.

Oh, and 1/2 mile from home, Drew threw tantrum #2 - he no longer wanted to sit within the confines of his stroller. AHHHHH so I had to carry all 25-pounds or so of him while pushing the stroller one handed. Do they give tickets to people who look like they're drunk trying to push a stroller and carry a toddler? If so, I'm sure I'd have been stopped.

Needless to say that was quite an adventure, and my spaghetti arms and legs are still feeling it.

Please tell me this attitude thing is just a phase and he'll outgrow it. He won't be this opinionated and stubborn forever will he? (Humor me if you have to)

4 comments:

  1. He will get over it....eventually!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in the middle of it with you! People tell me they grow out of it...here's hoping. Oh, I was going to offer a suggestion...sometimes Zach wakes up on the wrong side of the bed. Nothing satisfies him, he yells "NO" at everything, pouts, is just a real (enter sarcasm) joy to be around. The other morning, I gave him some dry Kix, set him in front of the tv and left him alone. 15 minutes later, he was happy boy again. I think some mornings he needs a little extra time to wake up. THIS morning, I combed his hair and he was not having it, at ALL. I took him by hand to his room and told him when he stops being mean and having a fit he could come back out. It totally worked! I was shocked! Anyway, worked for me, thought I'd pass it along. Good luck...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Must've been the Captain America T-shirt...=)

    ReplyDelete