Pages

August 31, 2010

First Sleep Over

It was "party central" here on Friday night.  Dave was out of town most of last week and through the weekend (in Memphis for work) so I figured what the heck - why not have a few friends over to keep us company.  So Mason and Troy came over for a sleep over - their first as well as Drew's.

It was a great time!  I picked up Troy and their booster seats and then we were off to the preschool to gather Drew and Mason - who were all so excited about the night ahead.

We got to the house and then walked over to the nearby elementary school where there's a few playgrounds and a big grassy area to hit some golf balls.  This mama was thinking if we could get some energy used up the bedtime routine would go a bit more smoothly - ha!


Front L-R: Troy, Mason, Drew headed to the park


L-R Monkeys - Drew, Troy, Mason

After it started to get late, the boys reluctantly left the park with the promise of pizza for dinner.  And while we were eating dinner and waiting to get our PJ's on we watched the "Wizard of Oz" - Troy's pick.

But about 7:30 it was time for lights out and the feature presentation - "James and the Giant Peach".  Well the boys had their pick of that or "Kung Fu Panda" - and the "apple" won. (that's what they called the movie at first).


L- R: Drew, Troy, Mason

About 9:15pm I made the move to try and get them to bed.


Drew fell asleep within about 5 minutes.  Mason and Troy used every ploy in the book to stay up.  They were thirsty - our house rule is water only and in a big cup (no sippies).  They weren't happy with that, but after about 20 minutes of off-and-on negotiations I won.

Then I'd no sooner get 1/2 way down the short hallway from Drew's room to my bedroom and I heard Mason and Troy saying they had nightmares.  We're talking less than 10 seconds since I was last in their room.  So we had a discussion about what their dreams were like - and I finally said you boys weren't even asleep.

I get to my bed and within minutes I can hear the toy box and closet being opened in search of toys.  Back to the room I go to get them to settle down.  Oh we even tried the game "let's see who can be the quietest the longest"... um everyone failed miserably - including my son (this game was played/lost as soon as the boys were put into the room.

After about an hour I moved Drew into his bed so he wouldn't get nailed by things I'm sure were flying across the room - and then put Mason and Troy on the opposite side of the room.  Troy then crashed immediately.  Mason was fighting it for another hour and finally gave up.

Don't mistake that I was mad or anything - tired yes.  Mad no - I fully expected what I got.  I honestly thought Drew would be as much an instigator.

See we all survived the evening - Drew and Mason were up at 6am - Troy an hour later.


Note to self - next sleep over have both parents home to tag team!  It really was a great time.  And days later Drew's still talking about everything the boys did.  He just loves to play with his friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment