Pages

February 1, 2012

Neverland 5K

I'm back to reality now after spending the better part of my weekend at the Happiest Place on Earth - you know Disneyland.  While it sounds like a lot of fun, it was really exhausting!  I drove down on Thursday to visit Hollywood and meet up with some friends - one of which flew out from Michigan to participate in a weekend of running around, literally.

L-R: Angie, Krista & Me
(These are my friends I met online while pregnant with Drew more than 5 years ago!)


Friday night at 10:30pm we actually hit up Main St. USA inside the Disneyland park to join 4,000 other crazy people to kick off the Inaugural Tinker Bell 1/2 Marathon weekend.






 What you can't tell in the picture, is all three of us are wearing fairy wings!!
L-R: Me, Angie, Krista (her first race ever - I'm so proud of her!)

In these next two pictures you can get a feel for how many people were crowded there on Main Street...





That bottom picture the starting line is over to the far right side of the image - almost where those spot lights are close to the Castle.

We were in I believe the 3rd corral - and we finally got our Starting gun - after moving up a bit.




So we started the race inside of Disneyland, and it wrapped around throughout the areas you have regular access to as well as lot of things behind the scenes.  Included in the behind the scene tour were characters and floats!


 (no that's not us in front of the float - I just snapped pictures while the other two were on the move).


We hit mile marker 1 on the hidden trails of Disneyland.


Mile Marker 2 I think was around Critter Country inside the Disneyland park.

 Then we crossed Downtown Disney and more hidden trails to California Adventure.  It was at this point Krista was getting tired and not sure she would make it.  I found some friends to help us...


Once we rounded the corner, we were excited to see our good friends Lighting McQueen and Mater.  Our boys (all three of us have 4 YO boys) are Cars fans - well mostly Krista's son.

L-R: Angie, Me, Krista

And then we were off to finish this race once and for all - no letting anyone give up this close to the end!  We hit a beautiful area of California Adventure!


While it was gorgeous this past weekend in Southern California, I'm not sure this is the normal kind of fun in the Sun...

... I mean  how many people run through two Disney parks after 11pm?

Only a tenth of a mile left!

These next pictures were from the professionals as we crossed the finish line!

 Me cheering for Krista as she finished her first race - and a 5K at that!!

You can see me, Angie is over my shoulder there, and directly behind me is Krista.

And the prize for crossing the finish line - our Neverland 5K medal (or rubber medal I should say).  While this race wasn't timed, my RunKeeper app clocked us at 53:50.  It was uber crowded and we stopped to take pictures.  So I think this is a fantastic time!

1 comment:

  1. I am so proud of you and the girls and at the same time a little jealous that you were at the happiest place on earth. I am really proud of you on kickin butt on the Half Marathon. Great Job Sweetie! :)

    ReplyDelete