Pages

February 9, 2012

I Guess We'll Keep Him Around

So I guess we'll keep Dave around a bit longer.  If you know him, you'll know he's not the best at putting things together or or fixing things.  Not for lack of trying, but he has the patience of a gnat and frequently uses potty language that would shock a trucker/sailor.  Don't worry honey I still love you....

But yesterday he surprised me.   Let me start by giving you a little background.

So last Friday night when Dave had a serious sweet tooth, he started baking some cakes.  Which mind you, is a first - the cake baking part, not the sweet tooth.  Well we were sitting there - me at the kitchen table working on Kindergarten registration stuff, him mixing the cake batter - when we heard what sounded to me like a cell phone on vibrate buzzing up against something.

Problem was, it wasn't a cell phone.  It was our oven which was preheating for the cakes popping and starting a mini fire on the coil - we have an electric oven/range.  I turned off the oven (dinner was cooking on the stove top) so I could put out the mini flame.  Problem was the damn oven wouldn't turn back on.

That didn't stop Dave from making his cake - he slapped that puppy on the BBQ!

I have to admit, it was damn good!  I had 2 pieces that night!

That still left us with an oven that won't turn on.  It is covered under our home warranty, but we have a $60 deductible.  Since we weren't going to be home all weekend, I didn't jump on dealing with the home warranty folks.  And truth be told we were wondering if we could fix it ourselves for less - we've made that brutal mistake a few times with things we've called into the home warranty.

So that catches you up, let's fast forward to the surprise.  Yesterday afternoon, I get a message from Dave saying he thinks he found the part we need, what do I think?  After a brief conversation - mind you we were IMing back and forth so it was short and sweet - I get a text a few hours later with the following!



My not-so-handy husband is actually becoming quite handy!  He fixed our oven so our child can survive once again on chicken and french fries!

In full disclosure (and so my husband doesn't lock me out of the house when he reads this)... I'm picking on him a little bit, and exaggerating slightly using some creative liberties.  While he doesn't build things like un-assembled furniture (I do that), he can hang things on the wall - like my new wall-hangy things or my laundry organization baskets (because I know this will be the first things he brings to my attention) - he just doesn't do this without a lot of begging and pleading.  He did this all on unprovoked.  That's what makes him a keeper - he's full of surprises!

1 comment: