Pages

September 12, 2009

Mommy's Birthday Letter to Drew

Drew,

What an exciting year it's been! I've watched you grow from a baby into a full-blown toddler right before my very eyes.

We've had our share of bumps and bruises, ups and downs, all while discovering the land of tantrums. I'm happy to report we're all in one piece - just a few time outs, doctor's visits, and hospital visits later.

It's amazing to see how much a little mimic you've become, trying to be just like your Daddy - say things he does, or imitate his mannerisms. You've learned your ABC's, your numbers, colors, shapes and so much more in the past 12 months. We LOVE to watch you learn, and love your enthusiasm for all things educational. I really hope you can continue to follow this your entire life!

You make my heart melt everyday when I pick you up from day care to see your big smile and excited dance as we "go home". If I'm talking to Ms. Stephanie about your day, you will even pull my face over to you so you know I'm listening to you say "I go home, see Daddy".

You just have an infectious smile, and those big brown eyes... you make it tough to discipline you sometimes. It's as if you can see right through me when you're being naughty and you know I'm trying not to laugh at you.

Keeping up with the tradition I started last year, here's what you've taught me over the past year:
  • despite a painful injury, making your hands virtually unusable you are remarkably resilient.
  • ER visits are not always necessary with a 105-degree fever
  • How many childhood illnesses are really out there
  • Sleep deprivation can lead to a bad habit of letting you sleep in our bed
  • It is possible not to panic during a year long food strike
  • Tylenol and Motrin don't work for those darn 2 year molars
  • Those 2 year molars take forever to come in
  • You can bang your head into any hard surface during a tantrum, and still come out conscious
  • Taking in things like Disneyland, Santa Cruz rides through your eyes is so much more fun than doing that stuff myself as a kid
  • I'm going to miss the days taking you on a flight was free
  • You enjoy being a big boy - gone are the days of strollers, high chairs and anything resembling being a baby
  • The world is really a beautiful place - especially when you are forced to stop and see/smell all the flowers, and pick up every rock on a short walk to the mailbox
  • You can say "Mommy, Mommy" - over and over for 10 minutes straight, and have absolutely nothing to say
  • You are quite a helper, and love to assist with putting dishes away, loading the dishwasher, washer and dryer. Oh, and you like to "help" fold clothes by throwing them off whatever surface I'm working on
Every age with you has been a true joy, but now that you're interacting with me more, and giving me that new cheesy grin of yours - it is truly exciting. I love your big hugs and delicate kisses. I love the smile you give me in the morning, your crazy sense of humor, and the silly dances you do.

Don't ever give up that wonderful side of you. Continue to grow and learn new things. Keep that sense of adventure and wonder, but never forget that we're here for you too.

I can't wait to see what new adventures the next year brings us! (But can we avoid a trip to the ER please?)


I love you baby boy, more than you'll ever know,
Mommy

4 comments:

  1. Awww, love it Brenda! "I go home, see Daddy" definitely brought a smile to my face :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww....
    I'm a sap for this one! So sweet.
    ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so precious. Now you know how I felt with each of you. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was Beautiful. It's amazing how you can put those same feelings I have into words.

    ReplyDelete