Pages

October 17, 2012

Shattering A Personal Record

In my third half marathon of the year (4th ever) I shattered a personal record for time.  But before I give you the results, let's start at the beginning.

On Sunday I ran in the Primo's Run For Education half marathon.  I did this race three years ago - the 5K distance and the proof is here - with a "wardrobe malfunction" and all.  This time it was uneventful in the wardrobe department.  My neighbor and I have been training for several weeks and the Friday before this run, we did an easy 3 miler just to stay limber.... problem was I injured myself!  I'm not sure if it was the drizzle that morning, the fact my shoes are nearing end of life or what - but I gave myself shin splints!  I spent the better part of Friday and Saturday icing my shins and taking Aleve. 

Then Sunday morning we ventured out to hit the starting line - which began at the Primo's restaurant in Danville and ended at Iron Horse Middle School (where the 5K starts & ends) in San Ramon.


That's me at about 7am... 15 minutes before the start of the race.


My running partner Julie...


The "aerial"  shot from where we were positioned.  There were 563 people who did the half marathon... more than 9,000 people who registered overall (most did the 5K including Dave who was dressed as Drew's school mascot... I'm hoping to get pictures to post a separate blog).

We were cruising averaging about 10:30 minute miles, which is fantastic for me.  I'm usually around 11:30-12 minute miles for a race of this distance.  I did begin to walk/run starting at mile 9.  But then I found inspiration at about mile 10 (at Costco and the Iron Horse Trail) with our very own cheering section!

That's Christopher (my neighbor's son) and Drew is in the background by Julie's Mom.  Drew didn't quite know what to make of things... but I ran over to give him a quick kiss and thank him for coming out.  I found out later that they were waiting for us for about 30 minutes.

From then on, I kept on trucking... and at mile 11 my RunKeeper app told me I was at about 2 hours 2 minutes of  running time... doing the math, I started to realize I could realistically reach my ultimate goal of finishing in 2 1/2 hours!  This is always my dream, but had never been a reality.

Julie was ahead of me a bit, and we were both doing the mix of walking/running... we'd only trained up to 11 miles the week before.  At about 12 1/2 miles I caught up to her and confessed that if we kept it up we could that 2:30 time we'd really wanted... so we booked it.

She crossed the finish line a few seconds ahead of me.  Meanwhile I was dodging kids whose parents let them "play" at the finish line -- the 5K was on finishing on the left side, 1/2 Marathon on the right.  Kids were crossing the lines... I literally yelled at two separate kids.  I think I shouted something like "Get outta the way!"  and "Look out!!".    These are kids who were in about 5th grade, so in my opinion they should know better!  I had a near miss with one.... and I am not ashamed to say I'd have shoved him aside, I wanted that 2:30 milestone that bad!

My official time 2:29:08!!! (Julie was 7 seconds ahead of me).  That's improving my time from the half I did in August by nearly 7 1/2 minutes!! (I came in 477th place)

I was one proud mama all day Sunday!


Oh who am I kidding... I'm still flying high from that accomplishment!  My reward for the race - joining my family for a day of wine tasting.

Training isn't over... I'm not preparing for another in December and then the Tinker Bell at Disneyland in January.  My next big goal... to finish in 2 hours 15 minutes. 

1 comment:

  1. Great job ladies! Very proud of you both. Way to go out and kick some butt sweetie!

    ReplyDelete