Pages

October 9, 2012

Run Like a Mother...

It's another big race weekend for me - this time I'm doing a half marathon (13.1 miles) so to kick off the run, I'll update you on the Delta Harvest race I did last month with my mom.

In the middle of September my Mom and I each did a race - well the same race, just different distances.  I opted for the  10K distance (6.2 miles) and Grammy did the 5K (3.1 miles).  I really wanted to do the half marathon, but with the half I did in August, and the one coming up this weekend I didn't want to overdo it.

I have to say I'm so so so proud of my Mom - this was the her first timed 5K!  She did do this run last year while pushing Drew but it was the fun run/walk and wasn't timed.  Now she's training to join me and several ladies in our family at Disneyland for the Neverland 5K in January - I'm doing the Tinker Bell 1/2 Marathon the next morning.

These pictures are from Rick Felix Photography

That's Mom and I after the race on our way back to the car.

Here are Grammy's race photos...

 That's Grammy on the left - and I'm on the right in the blue tank... that's when we first set off.  The 5K and the 10K had the same start times.

Here we are at a different angle... I'm just behind the girl with the purple shorts (I'm wearing the blue tank) and Grammy is just behind me with the white T-Shirt.  But I had to leave mom in the dust :)

Here's Grammy coming in for the finish...

 
And stepping over the finish line...


And receiving her finishing medal

 Grammy's official time for her first timed 5K... 49:08!  Not bad for only training for I think she said a week or two.  Now she's familiar with the race protocol.

I had the same course as mom for about 1.5 miles, but where they turned around we kept going.  Here are my race photos...

This was at about the 2 mile mark...


Probably at the 4 mile mark... we had already turned around but were maybe a quarter - half mile away from the photo spot above.


And here I am booking it to the finish...

 

Trying to cool down on the football field.


My official race time - 1:06:34

I set a new personal record.  While I reported on Facebook last month I'd trimmed nearly nine minutes, it wasn't until I was writing this post and looked up my previous races, that I discovered I ran a 10K Thanksgiving race last year (I thought I'd only ran 2, but turns out I've run 3 10Ks).  I still set a new personal record with this race, but only by a minute and a half.

No comments:

Post a Comment