Pages

September 22, 2011

Race to the Finish

Sunday was my first 10K of the year... ok my only 10K of the year.  For those who aren't familiar with racing distances, a 10K is 6.2 miles.  This year I had the privilege of doing it suffering from a sudden slaughtering of allergies and sinus troubles - gotta love the far East Bay foliage and fires.

This was my second ever race of this kind, the first being last year when I had to walk some of it because I stopped for water and didn't know how to "do that" yet without suffering from side aches.  So this year I really wanted to run the entire distance - which I can easily do in my 1/2 marathon training.  But the stupid hereditary sinus cavities had another agenda.

One of my usual cheerleaders had a better offer so Dave wasn't there to root for me.  Instead it was Grammy and Drew, who were going to do the Family fun walk/run around the Streets of Brentwood while I spent the next hour or so running through the town.


Once I hit the road I managed to run a 10 minute mile through 4.35miles - which is actually pretty fast for me. It was at that point I lost my breathing routine and ended up walking off and on for the next mile or so.  I came into the Streets of Brentwood aiming to run to the end, and had to walk off and on a bit more.  My final official time 1:17:46 - almost 2 minutes slower than last year's 10K. 

I'll chalk it up to the sinus troubles and now I'm even more motivated to finish a 10K without walking.  I know I'm perfectly capable of doing it.

1 comment:

  1. You're absolutely capable! I'm proud of you for still going for it, despite not feeling 100%... you rock! Congrats on your first 10K of the year. Good job, Brenda!

    ReplyDelete