Pages

September 2, 2011

Night of Laughs

On Tuesday night while we were vacationing, we hit up a show my boss told me we weren't allowed to come home if we didn't go.... Warren and Annabelle.  There is a lot of secrecy surrounding this show, so I won't spoil the surprise, but it's a magic and comedy show.  Warren is the comedian/magician and Annabelle is the resident ghost.


That piano is where Annabelle plays to remember her long lost fiancee who was lost at sea.  She plays any song requests the audience may have.

But the highlight of the night is the magic and comedy by Warren... we nearly peed our pants and his shenanigans.  


We didn't get a lot of pictures, but we were in the front (it's a very "intimate" stadium type seating) and there are four couples up front who are part of the show.  If you know Dave, you know we were picked to be up front.  Those that participated most were given names from the Andy Griffith Show - Dave was Otis (I escaped detection).

Dave had been drinking all day long and especially prior to the show, and therefore had a full bladder... yes during a comedy show....

Thinking he escaped detection Warren saw "Otis" a.k.a. Dave had stepped out and decided to pull a joke on him... He was going to tell a pointless joke later in the show and when he said the magic work "Papaya" everyone is supposed to bust out laughing - all but one other poor soul in the front who was named "Goober" - was supposed to act completely clueless.  So Warren would tell "Goober" the joke a second time, and again "Papaya" would be said, and he'd laugh hysterically....

The point was Otis/Dave would either act clueless and take his "laughing" cue from me or would be clueless and pretend to "get the joke" when "Goober" laughed.  Well Dave thought he "got the joke" from the get-go... let's blame the booze... and thought it was the funniest thing ever.

Fast forward to when we're leaving the show, and we shake hands with Warren... We're the last couple out and Gomer and his new wife were just ahead of us (they too were in front and part of the show) when Dave announced that the "Papaya joke was great".  We all laugh hysterically - including Warren - because I had yet to clue Dave/Otis in on the fact that the joke was on him!  So I'm giving the hand signal that I haven't told him - so everyone bursts out laughing even harder! 

Dave just kept going - talking about those penguins and the papaya... and then the other couple snaps a picture of us with Warren....


As you can see I'm hysterically laughing and therefore take a horrible picture!

I asked Dave later if anyone clued him in on the joke, and he proceeded to tell me that the bartender/server did.  Suspicious, I ask him to explain the joke to me.  He actually tried to do it, offering a bizarre explanation... when I realized he was so full of crap!  I broke it to him, not so gently, that he was the joke, to which he came back with a solemn "Oh".  I love retaliation like that!

No comments:

Post a Comment