Pages

September 12, 2011

Mommy's Birthday Letter to Drew - Age 4

Hey Buddy,

Happy birthday to my sweet little boy!  Every year I marvel at how you're fast growing and how quickly time is flying, I can't help it... I can't believe you're already four years old!  You've been looking forward to this day for months haven't you? You're ready to grow up.  But hold on dude - I need you to stay my little boy for a bit longer.

You've been in preschool a year now, and while you're wowing your teachers what you already know - you're wowing me at what you're learning.  I'm seeing the progress in your writing, your drawing and your people skills.  You're transforming to a big kid before my eyes. Long gone are the days I read bedtime stories to you.  Now you'd prefer to read bedtime stories to me (whether it's from your book or mine).

And the imagination... this year your imagination really took off.  I love listening to your theory about everything from what people are thinking to the little stories about "Fido".  And tell me, where do you get the ideas for your "don't circles"?  You crack your Daddy and I up with your interpretations of the signs we take for granted.  I'm going to miss the little things like that when you grow up and that "innocence" is gone. It's part of what is so very special about this age.  That's why I need to document it now, so I can look back on it in your teenage years when I'm not "cool" and you don't want to speak to me.  :)

Things that you've been into this year include:  Rocky Balboa, training like Rocky, puzzles, books, letters/phonics, the iPhone educational games and videos, your mobigo, games, movies, Blues Clues, The Upside Down Show on Nick Jr., Super Why, Dodger Dog made a comeback, don't circles, and purple flowers... you still can't get enough of purple flowers, spinners are still a hit, and you love coming to work with Mommy.

Keeping up with tradition... here's what you have taught me this past year:
  • You have an opinion about everything, and I need to get used to it
  • Acknowledging what you say will help avoid frustrations on both our parts - the nod of a head  does not count
  • The no U-Turn sign really means you can't go upside down....
  • There's still no reasoning with you when you think you're right about something - I need to stop trying to convince you otherwise.  (I can we'll both need therapy in your teenage years...)
  • You're extremely sensitive and I need to chose my words carefully - because the way I say them, and the way you interpret them can be totally different
  • We can go one year without a trip to the ER!
  • You're inquisitive about everything, and expect an answer to all of your questions - even the never ending ones (Like... what happens if you park in a no parking area?  Then what? Then what? What does that mean?....)
  • I can really come up with some clever answers on the spot!
  • I need to refresh my spelling skills - you ask how everything is spelled.  I can't spell worth a darn without spell check or seeing it written down.
  • You are developing your Daddy's mannerisms everyday - the good and bad
  • I live with a couple of boys.... farting is a fact of life, and you'll think it's hilarious until the end of time
I'm so proud of the boy you are and the big boy you're becoming. Keep your innocence, inquisitiveness and love of learning.  But most of all, stay the same sweet child you have always been.  I love you sweetheart, never forget it!

Love you the most,
Mommy

1 comment:

  1. That was very well written sweetie! I caught myself laughing at a lot of these. It sure has been quite a year!

    ReplyDelete