Pages

March 10, 2011

Where Do They Come Up With This Stuff?

For those of you who are "friends" with me on Facebook, this first story will be a "repeat", but I need to document it here on the blog.  I take the posts from the blog and keep the stories to share with Drew later as he's older - to serve as a reminder for all the little things I would normally forget.

STORY #1 - Name Change
On Tuesday evening I was giving Drew a bath.  And he threw out something I think is rather profound for a three-year-old.  Here's the conversation that went down:

Drew: "I have something to announce.  I changed my name today"
Me: "What's your new name"
Drew: "Rocky Balboa"

I needed Dave to finish up with Drew's bath while I did a few things on the computer.  As the two of them are in his bedroom, I hear Drew start in again with Dave.

Drew: "I changed my name today to 'lil Rocky Balboa"
Dave: "You did huh, you're my Little Rocky Balboa?"
Drew: "No it's 'lil Rocky"

Fast forward about an hour, and I'm laying in bed with Drew.  Because he's changed his name and all... here's now that conversation went down.

Me: "Goodnight Rocky, I love you"
Drew: "I love you to Adrian.  Your name changed today to Adrian"
Me:

Drew:  "It's not funny!" (he's clearly embarrassed because I was laughing)
Me: "You're right it's not funny.  It's adorable"
Drew: "I"m not adorable, I'm tough like Rocky!"

So fast forward to this morning, it's share day at school - and when Drew realized this he instantly asked to bring his Rocky Poncho to School for share day.  When we get to school he has to show Ms. Jonelle his poncho and explain that its what Rocky wears before he fights. 

She laughs and tells me about how ever since on of the girls in his class decided her name changed to Ariel (as in The Little Mermaid) Drew decided that his name was Rocky.  And that when she calls on him for something she has to say "Drew Rocky", and sometimes he makes her say "Drew Rocky Balboa".  So now we have some background to the name change thing that has recently had us chuckling at home.

STORY #2 - Drew's a Grown-up, well when he wants to be
Here's the second story for you today.  For weeks, if not months, Drew is obsessed with thinking he's older than he is.  Heaven forbid you say he's too little/young to do something. He'll tell you he's a big boy.  He's even thrown out that he's a grown-up (although he's recently decided that grown-ups have hair all over so he's not a grown-up yet... that story is for another blog someday).

So last night after work I was making dinner, trying to put out a few work fires, do the dishes/empty the dishwasher, answering Dave's questions, holding the Spider-man punching bag so Drew could  pound on him, playing some movies for Drew... you know the daily grind for working Mothers.

So needless to say I was a little frustrated and feeling stretched a little thin... and the whining from a certain nameless child was pushing me over the edge.  When I served Drew dinner, he was whining how he didn't want to eat that (oops I threw the nameless child under the bus).  And then the cup I put his milk in wasn't good enough.  Again, the daily grind.

After the incessant complains about the cup.. I told him he couldn't have a cup with a lid because they were all dirty, so he could have the one he had now.. or the hot wheels cup.  He opted for hot wheels - I guess it was cooler than the Red Robin cup I had given him initially LOL.

I then threw in a crack about how I keep having to dirty cups for him, so he's going to learn how to do his own dishes.  Here was our tableside "discussion":

Drew: "I won't ever, never do dishes, because that's for grown ups." 
Me: "Oh yes you will, why do you think I had kids in the first place"
Drew: "I can't do dishes because, it will hurt me"
Me: "It won't hurt you.  You'll do dishes when I tell you to"
Drew: "I won't ever be big, so I can't do dishes".

So tell me, why is it that kids want to grow-up and be big... but only when it suits them?

No comments:

Post a Comment