Pages

October 18, 2013

Reading Assessment

Earlier this month Drew's Kindergarten teacher asked me if she could keep him after school for one hour to do some reading records with him.  She wanted to get a more accurate picture of where he is reading level wise.  While I know she was planning on doing an assessment of all kids I got the impression she bumped Drew's "testing" up a bit.  I just heard back about how things went:

"He’s at a level 16 DRA – end of first grade.  His reading is quite
fluent and often reads with voice :o) (not monotone).  I know he can
decode (read the words) beyond that level, it’s the comprehension.  He
got to a point where he missed a chunk of retelling in a non-fiction
book.  He could interpret the chart located at the end of the book, but
he couldn’t remember details of what he read overall in the pages and
also was challenged with the skill of compare and contrast – he could do
this a little bit but not to the depth that would support him beyond
that level. SO, at this point, this is where I have him at and I’m in
need of locating him books at that level to borrow from class (“just
right books”) we call them."


She went on to say that she is going to have him doing some online reading and comprehension at school and at home using a program the District has to keep advancing and challenging him.

We're so proud of him.

Just for fun, here's a picture of him doing a tricycle race at the Pumpkin Patch last weekend.



He looks so little/young there.  Let me tell ya, he's growing up faster than you can blink!

No comments:

Post a Comment