Pages

March 28, 2012

Kicking Butt

I believe I've mentioned here once or twice before that I run for fun.  I still can't believe I say that about running - even if I've been doing it for nearly 6 years now (minus the 1 year hiatus I took for having Drew). 

Well in the past few months I've been contemplating how I can switch up my workout routines to work on those problem areas - without impacting my running training program.  I have a few 1/2 marathons and shorter races planned for this year.  Before Christmas I looked very closely at doing triathlons - swimming, running & biking.  Problem was I'd need to join an expensive gym to get the swimming portion done, and I'd need to invest in a bike since my Target/Wal-mart bike won't cut it.

I despise gyms and working out indoors with a passion.  I have joined many a gym only to pay for nothing - I stop going after 2-3 months.

So in January I found a Groupon-like deal for Boot Camp.  A friend of mine (Helen) has done a similar one in her hometown and raved about it, while making me a bit nervous about the amount of pain inflicted.  I finally signed up for my "Groupon" boot camp and began going early in the morning at a local park earlier this month.  I cannot say enough good things (I certainly can come up with some bad, but good bad if that makes sense) about the 30 Day Boot Camp I've been going to.

They've been trying to hard sell me the membership - for one year.  And after some negotiating I managed to get them to a price point I can tolerate - and one that Dave was somewhat ok with.  While a gym membership would've probably been cheaper, I know I will be more likely to stick with this.
  1. It's outdoors
  2. It works on so many other muscle groups than the running I typically do
  3. I can do this in conjunction with running - provided I'm not ridiculously sore
  4. I run a minimum of 1 mile each boot camp, so I am still getting that cardio
  5. It's almost as if I'm getting a personal trainer without having to pay for one
  6. I have someone telling me what exercises to do and it changes every day so it's not like doing a DVD where you see the same moves over and over
Now all I need to do is to make the money to support my boot camp habit....

No comments:

Post a Comment