Pages

June 10, 2011

Most Annoying Questions

Let's face it, a three year old asks a lot of questions. And I mean a lot!  I get they are inquisitive little beings that are starting to learn about the world around them.  But it's when they ask the most obvious question - even to a three-year-old - and when you ignore it for the first 10 times (because it was so obvious), they just get louder, and whinier until you respond.

It all starts out with the famous question "why"?  Why do I have to?  Why does it do that? But why? Why? Why?!

I learned about a year ago now, the only way to avoid the "why" question turning into a game of 20-why's (you know as in 20-questions), I needed to ask Drew a question back.  "Well why do you think?"  The responses can be rather imaginative or usually stating the obvious, which I've already told him the first 19 times he asked "why".

I never thought I'd say it, but there's a more annoying question than "why".  They're:
  • Are we there yet?
  • Are we on the freeway?
I was in denial about when the "are we there yet" question would come - I figured in a couple of years on long road trips.  Not just short jaunts to the grocery store, the library or one of our many local errands.

The "are we on the freeway" question is constant in the car!  I have no idea why he's so intrigued with freeways right now, but he MUST know at all times if we're on the freeway (or the street).  Even if the answer was yes (or no), 2.5 seconds earlier.

I'm trying to use this annoyance, and teach him about road signs, and how to tell the difference between the surface streets and freeways.  It's starting to curb bot the "are we there yet" and the "are we on the freeway" questions and turn driving into a game to read the next road sign to tell whether we're coming to our exit, our street etc.

I suppose there could be worst things to complain about right?

1 comment:

  1. ALWAYS could be worse things to complain about! You're a good mommy, Brenda, with a smart little boy. They don't stay little forever!

    ReplyDelete