Pages

June 18, 2009

Saving Lives

I can now say I'm a 2 time blood donor! On Wednesday I took part in a blood drive for the business complex where I work. The first time I donated blood, in January or February, I made the mistake of going to pick Drew up from day care about an hour after donating.

It turns out lifting him up and over the baby gate was enough "heavy lifting" to cause me to pass out. Despite that hurdle for my first blood donation, I decided my slight inconvenience wasn't as important as what I was doing - giving life to someone else.

So I encourage everyone to look into donating blood! You can find out where to go in your area by clicking here.

Here are some great reasons for donating (courtesy of the American Red Cross & Blood Bank of San Diego - thank you google).

  1. Every 2 seconds, someone in the US needs blood.
  2. More than 38,000 blood donations are needed every day.
  3. Shortages of all blood types usually occur during the summer and winter holidays.
  4. Blood Donations is a simple 4 Step Process: registration & medical history, mini-physical, donations & refreshments (the cookies alone are worth the donation in my opinion).
  5. The average adult has 10-12 pints of blood, and only 1 pint is donated.
  6. One donation can save the lives of 3 people.
  7. My favorite reason - Since a pint is a pound, you lose a pound every time you donate.
  8. You can donate every 56 days
Isn't losing that pound worth the donation alone? Oh and for the record, Daddy was on Drew pick-up duty.

No comments:

Post a Comment