Pages

September 14, 2012

Water to Wine

Wine?  Yes please! 
Running?  Ok
Put the two together?  Where do I sign up!?!?!

Last month I did a half marathon (13.1 mile race) in Healdsburg which is about 20 minutes north of where Dave and I met in Santa Rosa.  I have to admit  I heard about the Water to Wine race from one of Drew's preschool teachers who wanted to do her first half.  I wasn't sure at first I wanted to do it since I'd planned to do a half in September and October... I thought adding one in August would be a bit much.  Well I decided to make the September Race (which is this Sunday) a 10K instead and then signed up for the Water to Wine half.  The thing that sealed the deal... it was all downhill! At least that's what they advertised.

So Dave and I got a free room across the street from where we met (Red Lobster in Rohnert Park) and I did the race that Sunday morning.

While it was chilly at the starting line, it was the perfect racing weather!  The sun came out at the end of the run and it was warm at that point.

Ms Kirsten (Drew's preschool teacher) and I before the race.

And then we were off!  The view couldn't be beat...


Shortly after the seven mile marker (remember this is just over 1/2 way done) there was some jazz in the vineyard!


Sorry for the blurry picture but I was running and snapping the pictures.  I didn't get to appreciate it a whole lot since I run to music on my iPhone.

Yep, I snagged a few of the race photos....



This race is just before harvest so the vines are perfect looking!


Only a 5K left at this point!  And just beyond this picture was the first of 3 decent sized hills.  Remember how I said they advertised it was all downhill?  Well I thought it was mighty cruel to put the unexpected hills at the last 3 miles of the race.  I ended up walking off and on at this point.

At about mile 12 I came upon the road signs for wineries...

...should I finish the run or take a detour?

OK I'll finish the race.  I couldn't have been happier to see this winery though!

 Alder Brook is where the finish line is.  I was about a quarter mile from the end at the sign.

And the race photographer captured me coming across the finish!

 My final time... 2:36:42... that's about 4 minutes shaved off my previous best time!! This race makes my third half marathon.  I was thrilled!

With this race we got a great finisher's medal - a wine topper. 



In addition to the medal we got 3 tastes at the winery.  Let me tell you after running 13.1 miles in more than 2 1/2 hours I couldn't fathom drinking anything but water, so I gave Dave my tastes.  He loved them. We did taste here the day before when I picked up my race packet -and we walked out with a bottle or two.

It was a great race and I'll look at doing it again next year. Dave even hinted he may thing about it as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment