Pages

August 28, 2012

Beginnings - Kindergarten Here I Come!

While we just ended a chapter last week, we also started an exciting new chapter this morning - KINDERGARTEN!  Well Transitional Kindergarten (TK) to be exact.  For those that don't know or didn't recall we decided to put Drew into TK - a two year Kindergarten program because of his late birthday and to help give him that confidence boost later in his education career.  Our school district offers the TK program - one of the first in the state.  This is the second year for the TK program in town.

Since it's such an important day - starting school we have a plethora of pictures!  Before school I tried to get the obligatory before you go to school shots, but my subject was being rather silly.


This was about the only decent picture and he had to do it with his blue "kickball".

Then we headed off to school for some more pictures and we tried not to melt away.


While I normally cringe at sharing the name of Drew's school online, I had to get the shot.  Poor kid had to look right into the sun to appease his mama.


Then we walked across the front of the school to head toward his classroom and wait with all the other kids who also were trying to avoid melting away (temperature around 9am was hovering close to mid to high 80s).



Drew was a good sport and smiled for a few more pictures before we were let in.


Following directions like a good boy and standing on the yellow line waiting to be called into class.


Drew's the line leader as he follows his teacher - Mrs. Ferren - into his class.  I have to admit, I was happy I was wearing sunglasses as I watched my little boy enter the classroom as such a big boy.

They started off in a circle singing a song - Drew was a bit bashful and wouldn't do the movements and since his back is to me (he's in the cream shirt closest to the camera) I couldn't tell if he was at least singing.

They let the parents linger for about five minutes to hear that song and listen to all the kids talk about their backpacks.  Then we were given the boot.

 I thought Drew was going to get a little sad as he was waving goodbye and was getting ready to hang up his backpack.


 But he held up like a trooper!

So while he was in school for his 90 minutes I made a costco run (I took yesterday and today off for his first days of school) and then came back to meet him at the gate.

Here he comes....

They kept the parents outside the Kindergarten gate until we announced whose child was ours.  I asked Drew what he thought of his first day... here's what I got:


He said he was good to come back to school again tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. I still can't believe our little boy is now in school. He is growing up so fast! I'm so happy to hear his first day was a thumb's up! I'm so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete