Pages

July 14, 2012

Big Damn Bug

Some people have fish stories... we have a bug story.  To get a full appreciation for our bug story I need to start at the beginning - unfortunately making a longer story. 

About 6 years ago after we power washed the backyard, I went to the bathroom in the middle of the night.  Now I don't have to turn on the bathroom light when I go since we have a hurricane light from our neighbors which puts off enough light for me to do my business without having to hurt myself.  As I was doing my thing I saw the shadow of this thing scurrying across the floor.  I screamed waking up Dave.

I have no idea what it was other than it was the size of a mouse.  It ended up scurrying under our bathroom sink out of our reach.  We TP'd the heck out of the bottom so we could get some sleep.  Yeah right.  A few minutes later you can hear it clawing trying to get out... then a bit later you hear a "thud" as something falls from the top of the counter hitting our garbage can.

Armed with a shoe, Dave goes in (I'm right at his back, but protected by my strong, burly, shoe-armed husband).  Then we saw the biggest, ugliest critter ever.  After Google searches the next day we discovered it was a Jerusalem Cricket.  Needless to say that dude didn't live to see our Google searches.

Fast forward to Thursday night this past week.... I'm sound asleep and Dave shakes me awake "Are you awake?"  Um, no I was just laying there peacefully for my health at 11:45pm.  He proceeds to tell me that he found another Jerusalem Cricket and he's trying to catch it.  Knowing how little sleep I had after the incident 6 years earlier... I decided I preferred not dealing with it until the morning.

Then I woke up and walked into the kitchen and saw this...
 

Repeat after me... ewwwww!! It's also apparently known as a potato bug (which I always thought were Rolly Pollys)

That's when Dave proceeds to tell me his war story with this damn bug - which Drew named Cooky.  Dave said in his wrestling to avoid the crunch that would come... Cooky played 'possum and when he was flipped over just stayed still until Dave moved out of it's field of vision. 


The reason Dave saved the damn bug, he thought it would be fun for Drew to bring to school for share day yesterday.



Needless to say I refused to take Drew to school.

Ewww!!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, those things are NASTY! We don't have them here very much, but they'd always commit suicide in our pool in Antioch. They are big and juicy for sure. I wouldn't step on one.

    ReplyDelete