Pages

December 8, 2011

Running Off Thanksgiving Dinner

I forgot I never blogged my Turkey Trot 10K race from Thanksgiving!  So here it goes...

About 2 weeks before Thanksgiving I decided to sign up for the local Turkey Trot, which is offered in a 5K and 10K distances (3.1 or 6.2 miles).  I opted to go the distance with the 10K... I am in fact training for another 1/2 Marathon after all.


As you can see from this starting line picture.. conditions were less than ideal.  It was raining!


While I normally refuse to run in the rain for fear of getting hurt, I decided to still brave the elements and donned my Niagara Falls Poncho and hit the road.  This was the first time I didn't have my own cheering section at the finish line, and while there was a twinge of disappointment, with the weather it's more than understandable.

And great news, I set a few personal race records...
  1. After two previous 10K races, I finally ran the entire distance.  Last year I drank water on the race route and had a side-ache from hell.  This past September I was battling a sinus thing and started out too fast.
  2. I set a new personal race record for the 10K beating my previous record by more than 7 minutes!  My official finish time was 1:08:08.




Miles 4.5-5.5 were rather muddy, and thankfully the rain started to go away, so I removed my visor and my rain poncho and had a strong finish - for me that is.  I was still in 83rd place (out of 109) for the ladies running this distance (1,030/1,291 overall).  Thankfully I run for my own personal bests and improvements and I don't put too much into the overall placement.  I'll never finish number one, and that's just fine by me.

No comments:

Post a Comment