Pages

September 12, 2013

Mommy's Birthday Letter to Drew - Age 6

Drew,
In a blink of an eye, you've turned six.  As I tell you nearly everyday... stop growing up!  Well at least slow it down a little for me okay?  Before long, you'll no longer want to "cuddle cuddle" at night or on those rare occasions throughout the day - boy I'm going to miss that.
In the past year we've seen so many changes in you.  Not only have you shot up about 2-3 inches, but you've matured.  While we were nervous about holding you back in TK this time last year, we know we did the right thing for you and now the confidence you have is astounding.  Keep it up!  I know you've been disappointed that you couldn't "skip kindergarten" and head of to first grade like many of your friends, but I know we're doing the best thing for you.  Just remember to challenge yourself and never lose that thirst for knowledge.
Some of the little things we've noticed this past year...

  • You moved from TK to Kindergarten without any nervousness whatsoever, despite changing schools

  • You astound me with how much that little brain of you knows. For example, just last month you asked how old Uncle Matt turned on his birthday... I said, Mommy's age, minus two.  And you answered immediately how hold he was.  Then looking over at Grammy you asked how old she was.  Never in a million years thinking you'd get it right, I told you "Mommy's age, plus 21."  You thought about it for maybe 2 seconds and got it first try... thankfully I have witnesses, I don't think anyone else would've believed me.  Math and reading come so easy for you, don't cheat yourself and start slacking as the years go by, challenge yourself.

  • Soccer and Tball, you take both on with a competitor's heart.  Just remember it's all about having fun, don't take things too serious.

  • I love watching your imagination reading "I Spy" or various "Look and Finds" as you take any small action figure on a ride that only you can explain.  You can do that for hours and it's so wonderful to watch.  Don't grow out of that too fast.

  • Your sense of wanderlust and adventure is awesome.  We love taking you on adventures and yes, those famous hotel stays you love.  I'm not sure what you loved more this year... the Embassy Suites or the trip to Virginia...

  • Our little chats to/from school or those moments before bed... you have no idea how truly special they are to me.  They give me such insight into the person you're growing up to be.  I hope you always share things with your Dad and I.

  • I love watching you become Daddy's little buddy.  He can do no wrong in your eyes, I hope you keep that sense of innocence and admiration.

  • If it's a movie that Daddy loves, you love it - Star Wars, Goonies, The Neverending Story, Indiana Jones Trilogy... etc.  You are two peas in a pod.


I thank God everyday for blessing us with you.  Just keep being you, don't try to change for anyone else, keep that sweet heart of yours, and that amazing intelligence.  You never cease to amaze us.  I cannot wait to see how much you grow this next year, just promise not to grow up too fast, huh?
I love you all the way to Neptune and back 500 times,
Mommy








2 comments:

  1. Ahhh, I wish I would have started an annual letter to A,M&J. You are an amazing mother and Drew is an amazing kid! Good job on the first 6 years!

    ReplyDelete