Pages

May 15, 2012

Run, Walk, Honor

Ok my blogger slacking days are hopefully over now that I have a brand spanking new working laptop.  So I'm hoping to catch up this week on some overdue posts. 

As I've done the past four years, I spent our Anniversary weekend participating in Pat's Run.  This year I was joined not only by Dave (this was his second year), but Drew as well at the San Francisco shadow run.  The main attraction is at my alma mater Arizona State where 30,000+ runners and walkers cross the 42 yard line to pay tribute to the fallen Pat Tillman.

At the San Francisco turnout there were somewhere around 50 people - mainly alumni and their families - running the 4.2 mile route which takes us from the Marina Green to near the Golden Gate Bridge and back.

You can see Drew in his black Kids Run Shirt to the left of the NorCal sign.  Dave and Drew are just behind him (you can click to enlarge the photo)

As you can see it was a gorgeous day in the City on April 21st.  In fact on the run it was blisteringly hot for this mama who pushed Drew in the jogger.

Drew is ready to get started.

 Here is a video taken by the local NBC station of the start of the run:



You can see Drew and us around :25, Drew running around :33 and Drew playing "elevator" in the background during the interview.


Daddy ran ahead of us, since I was pushing the stroller.  Drew started out running but his "legs got tired" about 100 yards in.  He didn't want me to bring the jogger, claiming he could run the whole time, but thankfully I didn't listen. 

Because it was warm and I was pushing the jogger with a 36ish pound kid, I took a few water breaks.


Water break # 1 about 1.5 miles in with a view of the Golden Gate Bridge

Pit stop #2 near the turnaround point so about 2 miles in.


 And here comes Daddy (left side of the picture in the read Pat's Run shirt). 

 Daddy took a brief water break to snap a picture of Drew and I


And we all made it across the finish line!  Drew didn't want to run the final 100 yards, so I pushed him to the bitter end.  My final time wasn't great 55:16, but not bad for the first race of this size pushing Drew.  Dave finished about 4 minutes ahead of me I believe.

Because it was such a beautiful day we just enjoyed the sights after the race at the Marina.


Drew was intrigued by Alcatraz (and trying to find crabs on the rocks below)

Victory shot of Dave and I

After the race we were trying to figure out what else we could do that didn't involve a lot of walking/hiking - Dave's feet were bruised from the run.  So we ended up at Golden Gate Park.


We hit up a "spinner" and a playground.  We wanted to go to the Japanese Tea Garden, but it appears everyone else in the Bay Area had the same idea - hit up GG Park - because there was ZERO parking that afternoon.  So we decided with a wounded Daddy and a hungry Mama and child we headed back home for some grub and much needed showers.

1 comment:

  1. It sure was a fun and beautiful day! I still don't know what was going on with my feet. Can't wait to do it again next year.

    ReplyDelete