Pages

July 31, 2013

Virginia Vacation - Air and Space Museum

On Friday after the baseball game we got up in the morning and went to the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum - the Udvar-Hazy Center in Virginia.  We ventured out with my friend Sarah and her three kids - two of which were contained in the stroller. 

I can't believe how amazing this was to see.

As we walked in, this is what we saw...

This is an F-105D Thunderbird

Here's a Marine Helicopter
 Everywhere you looked high, low, left, right there were aircraft.


Here is Drew and Preston in front of an Air Force plane.


And giving their best brain freeze expressions...


A Wright Brothers Replica



This next plane is pretty self explanitory.


And this is the Enola Gay from above.  I couldn't believe how massive it was.  Even from above I couldn't fit the entire plane into the picture!


For those who aren't History buffs like me, the Enola Gay dropped the first Atomic Bomb on Hiroshima during WWII.

Speaking of History, Preston's Great-Grandfather flew this plane behind the boys - the Black Widow.  This is real-life history!


When I was younger I remember hearing about the SR-71 and it's "top secret status".  Well here it is in the flesh.


At this museum they have a space area - Drew is demonstrating some sort of Jedi hold on Preston.  I believe there is a picture from when the boys were about 18 months in a similar pose.


And the real beauty at the museum... this was so amazing to see!

The Discovery Space Shuttle


I was so surprised to see the material the space shuttle is made out of.  I really imagined it to be the same material you see planes made out of.  It appeared to be more "fabric-like".  The shuttle is also a monstrous sized space craft too!

No comments:

Post a Comment